Clinton is known as Canada’s home of radar and there is a large radar antenna in the downtown because of its association with RCAF Station Clinton during World War II. Clinton was known as “The Corners” or “Rattenbury Corner” in its earlier days.
Clinton was established in 1831, when Jonas Gibbings and brothers Peter and Stephen Vanderburg cleared out a small area to start. It was named after Sir Henry Clinton, who distinguished himself during the Peninsular War. Clinton started to grow in 1844 when William Rattenbury laid out the plans to begin making a village. Soon after, people began buying land from Rattenbury as well as the Gibbings.